Favorite things to do while driving...

  • Knit, Knit...Got to catch up!
  • Enjoy the views..it's all so amazing!

Thursday, July 1, 2010

From Cody to Buffalo, WY and on to Rapid City,SD



DATES OF TRAVEL: JUNE 11-13, 2010
This post is a little different than what I've done before...And I hope you get a chuckle with me.
As we left one of our favorite stops...Cody, WY...we felt like we were beginning our trek eastward and home. Strange thought with still many days and stops to go. But here's the deal as we made our way to Rapid City, SD...with an overnight stop in a quaint little town, Buffalo, WY. The drive to Buffalo was interesting because we did take the road less traveled and it was beautiful. There was one stretch of 50 - 60 miles and we saw only 6 or so vehicles! And we passed through Tensleep...population 304! The farms were prosperous and green. It was a nice change from the interstate. BUT..as we drove through the Bighorn National Forest "enjoying" all the 7% inclines and switchback curves, brakes heated and transmissions heated...and Rick's brakes went mushy. We made an emergency stop in one of the pullout vistas to give the vehicles and drivers a break. After an hour or so, away we went. As we came off the highway, Rick felt like he had no brakes left. It was a bit stressful, but by morning all seemed OK. Our overnight in Buffalo allowed the wash to get done...while Betty and I shopped in the RV gift shop. Nice and convenient, huh? The men may not have thought so, but... Before our trip, I purchased an electric pressure cooker/slow cooker/rice cooker. For this quick stop over, I used it to prepare dinner...quickly. The cooker has become known as "The Pot" and maybe I'll write a cookbook with our RV recipes! Yum, yum---pork roast, chicken, roast beef, pork chops...even chicken and dunplings!
I digress...we made our way to Black Hawk, SD...location of 3 Rivers RV Park...near Rapid City, SD. This is our home base as we visit Wall Drug..and other point of interest. The trip to Wall was made on a rainy day when we just didn't want to be outside, so enjoy the chronicles of the trip via bill boards!

No comments: